Integrating mobile health into rehab webinar
ACAPT's Research-Intensive Programs in Physical Therapy (RIPPT) promotes academic excellence by strengthening the community of research-intensive physical therapy programs. PT instructors at ACAPT member institutions can join RIPPT for free.
The RIPPT seminar series is a monthly webinar that provides an interactive forum on topics of interest to the community of researchers, academics, and clinicians in physical therapy and rehabilitation-related fields.
The overarching theme for 2022 is: How research informs clinical practice and clinical practice informs research.
This month’s 60-minute seminar comes to you by Ignacio Gaunaurd, PT, PhD, MSPT, who will share the lessons learned from the University of Miami Neil Speilholz Functional Outcomes Research and Evaluation (FORE) Center in developing novel sensor technology and metrics and their integration with performance-based outcome measures.
This work augments assessment and rehabilitation interventions for service members and veterans with lower limb loss, tactical athletes, and collegiate athletes. He will discuss his experience:
- Translating outcome measures for use with different populations
- Developing meaningful sensor metrics that provide clinicians with more than just a number
- Working with an interdisciplinary team of engineers, programmers, research scientists, and physical therapists in order to help people improve their basic and high-level mobility
The presentation will be followed by an open discussion amongst participants.
The participant will reflect and identify:
- Lessons learned from developing a novel sensor system and sensor metrics that can be applied for different population as both an assessment tool and rehabilitation intervention.
- Strategies to incorporate sensor technology in clinical practice, sports settings, and home use.
Target audience: Faculty, post-docs, program directors/chairs, PhD students, and others interested in health services research and Learning Health Systems research.
- Ignacio Gaunaurd, PT, PhD, MSPT, Associate Professor, Department of Physical Therapy, University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine and Research Health Scientist, Bruce W. Carter VA Medical Center, Miami, Florida
- Deborah L. Givens, PT, DPT, PhD, FAPTA, Director, Division of Physical Therapy, UNC at Chapel Hill