ACAPT's Commitment to Privacy
Last updated: April 2020
Who We Are
ACAPT is a 501(c)(6) not-for-profit organization with headquarters in Alexandria, Virginia.
ACAPT collects data online, by phone, or by paper that allows ACAPT to identify or contact you (personal data) to carry out its business purposes. We collect this information at various points of service, including, but not limited to, when you register for ACAPT membership, change your membership, reapply, register for an ACAPT event or program, purchase ACAPT products or services, complete a contact form or survey, sign up for a newsletter, volunteer, or otherwise interact with ACAPT.
The types of personal data ACAPT collects includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- General data -- e.g. names, dates of birth, home and business addresses, email addresses, Internet protocol addresses and mobile, and phone numbers provided by our members or other customers;
- Site usage – e.g. browsing history, search terms, member login activity, and email clicks;
- Products and services viewed, including advertisements for such products and services;
- Professional data – e.g. school information and licensure information;
- Other identification information – e.g. photographs and audio during podcasts, lectures, public performances, etc.
- Financial information – e.g. credit and debit card numbers, credit reports, passwords, and PINs) for events and
- Sensitive personal data (e.g. racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, trade union membership, and health data) for diversity or accessibility purposes, employment purposes, surveys, Education Leadership Institute, PTCAS, RF-PTCAS, Physical Therapy Outcomes Registry, educational programs and services, membership, and professional aggregation.
We do NOT collect or store social security numbers.
ACAPT may also receive personal data from third parties for ACAPT's use in marketing and providing products and services.
ACAPT collects information (whether online, by phone, or by paper) that does not directly identify you (non-personal data). The types of non-personal data we collect includes, but is not limited to:
- Computer, operating system, and platform type;
- Internet service provider; and
- Your industry and business (e.g. company size and location, job functions, and seniority levels).
How ACAPT Uses Your Data
The following explains how ACAPT uses your personal data and non-personal data.
ACAPT uses personal data to carry out its business purposes, which include but are not limited to, membership transactions, event registrations, directories and messages based on your interests, or to otherwise interact with ACAPT. More specifically, ACAPT uses personal data, sometimes in combination with non-personal data, in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to:
- Carry out obligations arising from or related to membership, or any other contract entered into between you and ACAPT.
- Account set-up and administration.
- Provide service communications such as bill reminders, order confirmations, program registrations, and customer service messages.
- Provide products, information, and services.
- Respond to your emails or online requests for products, services, or information.
- Identify you when you visit our sites.
- Research and development purposes.
- Polls and surveys.
- Provide you with information about events, products, or services.
- Personalize and improve the usability of ACAPT's sites, products, and services.
- Personalize content, advertising, marketing, programs, and services to you.
- Meet internal audit requirements.
- Legal obligations.
- Publish membership directories, membership lists, and registration lists on the sites, in print, and in digital media to allow the colleagues to find you.
- Ensure that content is presented most effectively for you and your computer.
ACAPT uses non-personal data to improve the usability of the sites and for other business reasons. We or third-party companies also use the non-personal data to target advertisements to you.
Please note that when you select an advertising link or other link that takes you to sites not operated by ACAPT, you may be subject to the privacy policies of these third-party sites.
We only share your personal data with ACAPT’s consortia, task forces and committees so they can better serve ACAPT members.
Your email address will be used only by ACAPT and its entities performing member services or offering products on ACAPT's behalf or as a member benefit. Understand that your email address may be visible through membership directories, membership lists, and registration lists.
Your email address may be visible through membership lists shared only within ACAPT.
ACAPT reserves the right to use or disclose data where we reasonably believe it is needed to (i) respond to information requests by law enforcement or other governmental authorities; (ii) comply with any law, regulation, subpoena or other legal process, or court order; (iii) investigate and help prevent security threats, fraud activity, or inappropriate, unauthorized, or illegal activity involving ACAPT's services or networks; or (iv) enforce or protect ACAPT's rights and property. In such circumstances, data may be disclosed without notice to the individual.
We do not knowingly collect personal data from or market to children under the age of 13.
Your privacy is of the utmost importance to us, but due to legal and security matters that are beyond our control, we cannot guarantee that the data that you may provide to us, including personally identifiable information, is not disclosed to a third party.
ACAPT incorporates reasonable safeguards to protect the security, integrity, completeness, accuracy, and privacy of the data we collect. In our efforts to make the Sites secure, we use the latest industry standards to safeguard the confidentiality of your personally identifiable information, such as firewalls and Secure Socket Layers (SSL), where appropriate.
ACAPT also takes precautions to protect information from loss, misuse, and alteration. Only ACAPT employees who need access to your data in order to do their job are allowed access. Pursuant to PCI compliance requirements, ACAPT employs procedures to safeguard any credit card data we collect from you when making an order. Please note, however, that no method of electronic transmission or storage is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
The Sites contain discussion forums, message boards, and other public or member-based forums. Any data that you provide in these forums may become public and/or available to all members, and you must exercise caution when deciding to provide any data, including personal information.
Although we try to protect personally identifiable information, ACAPT cannot guarantee the privacy of any data that you provide on these forums; accordingly, any information you provide is at your own risk. ACAPT is not responsible for maintaining the privacy or secrecy of any passwords or account information that you may have disclosed.
Your Rights Regarding Your Data
To protect your privacy and security, we will take reasonable steps to verify your identity. You can manage your profile and email preferences, including "opting out" of emails, by contacting ACAPT via the information under "How to Contact ACAPT" below and/or managing your member profile. Our processing of your data is based upon your consent, contract performance (e.g. your purchase of products or membership sign-up/renewal), legitimate business interest (e.g. direct marketing of goods and services), or compliance with law.
Other Important Information
Location of Data
Your data is processed in the United States, where privacy laws may be less stringent than the laws in your country. By submitting your data to ACAPT, you agree to the transfer, storage, and processing of your data in the United States.
In general, ACAPT retains data for the period necessary to fulfill its business purposes, unless a longer period is required, needed for archival and research purposes, or permitted by law.
The sites may include links to other websites that are not owned or controlled by ACAPT, and ACAPT is not responsible for the contents of any linked site, the conduct of any linked site, or any changes or updates to such sites.
How to Contact ACAPT
American Council of Academic Physical Therapy (ACAPT)
1055 North Fairfax Street, Suite 205
Alexandria, VA 22314-1488