Tools like ChatGPT and other artificial intelligence (AI) are changing the landscape of PT education. How can you adapt?
ACAPT member Carole Tucker, PT, PhD chaired a series of artificial intelligence workshops from the NASEM Global Forum on Innovation in Health Profession Education (HPE); ACAPT is an active Global Forum member. 2023 recordings are available below:
If you are interested in joining a NASEM Global Forum working group focused on resources & shared experiences of using or teaching AI in HPE, please email Dr. Tucker.
Below are recommended steps PT educators should take now.
- Educate yourself & your colleagues in basic concepts & controversies related to AI. Start with this article from the National Academy of Medicine.
- Build relationships.
- Establish a local advisory group to collaborate with the existing curricular oversight process.
- Review your program's existing competency outcomes & curricula.
- Review the existing assessment program.
- Review existing admissions & selection processes.
- Participate in evaluation & research regarding the impact of AI in education.
- Engage in national & global discussions to:
- Enhance AI training
- Establish learning objectives & developmentally appropriate progression of training in AI
- Leverage AI in training
- Develop AI capabilities that assist in delivery of educational programs