ACAPT has had members from two task forces working for more than a year on developing an Excellence Framework for PT Education that builds upon ACAPT's Criteria for Excellence with priority categories for tracking PT program success.
The framework is designed as a resource to guide and support wide engagement of ACAPT stakeholders. It will help direct the work of the new Center for Excellence in Academic Physical Therapy. We envision that PT educators can use the framework to create new and innovative ways of measuring excellence using individual framework criteria as a guide. We hope this will spark conversations and motivate continuous improvement amongst all engaged in academic physical therapy.
12 Categories of the Excellence Framework in academic physical therapy
- Cultivates transformative, influential and visionary leadership
- Embraces innovation and risk-taking
- Sustains a culture of continual assessment and improvement
- Supports and sustains a culture of collegiality, collaboration, and role modeling
- Inspires motivated and engaged learners
- Promotes a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Sustains a spirit of scholarly inquiry
- Employs contemporary, evidence-based approaches to teaching and learning
- Promotes adaptive, lifelong learning and professional formation
- Embraces leadership development
- Promotes authentic, collaborative inclusive community partnerships
- Inspires social responsibility, investing in local, regional and global health and addressing contemporary societal needs through advocacy
ACAPT members can access the full framework -- which includes more detail and shared criteria for each category -- at members.acapt.org.
See more guidelines for DPT programs.