Emerging Educator Award
(Early Career 0-10 yrs)
The purpose of the ACAPT Emerging Educator Award is to identify and honor one physical therapist "emerging educator"; a person who has demonstrated excellence in academic or clinical teaching in a physical therapy education program early in his or her physical therapy career.
- Individual member of an ACAPT member institution who is currently engaged in physical therapy education.
- Current American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) member.
- The recipient will have exhibited outstanding service to physical therapy education in the early stages of his or her career as shown by contributions in at least 3 of the 4 following areas: scholarship, teaching, service, or administration.
- An individual, no higher than the rank of assistant professor, who has no more than the equivalent of ten years of full-time experience in physical therapy education.
- Individuals who are current members of the ACAPT Board of Directors, the APTA Board of Directors, or APTA Staff are not eligible for the award.
- Each recipient will have distinguished themselves through excellence in physical therapy education (academic or clinical) at the national, regional, or local level.
- Each recipient will have distinguished themselves in a subject matter area as evidenced by publications or other appropriate demonstrations.
- Each recipient will have extended education by developing innovative teaching methodologies or materials.
Procedure for Nomination
Nomination packets must include:
- Written nomination letter addressing the characteristics that distinguish the nominee. The letter should carefully document the ways in which the nominee fulfills the criteria noted above, including an explanation of potential for future contributions to physical therapy education.
- A formal resume or curriculum vitae of the nominee which includes biographical information pertaining to major professional activities and accomplishments of the nominee.
- Three support letters from APTA members, at least two of which are from ACAPT members. These letters should support the nomination letter by providing a personal account of the teaching activities that distinguish the nominee. The authors of the support letters must document proof of APTA and ACAPT membership.
- Send one PDF nomination packet to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If a nomination was not selected for the award, the nominator may resubmit the same nomination packet one time only in the following calendar year with the option of updating supporting documents. Nominees will not be automatically reconsidered for successive years.
The nomination packet must be received by ACAPT by April 30.
Final decision(s) will be made by the ACAPT Awards & Recognition Committee with recommendations to the Board.
Submission and Review Process
- One award will be given annually.
- There may be years when this award is not given.
A plaque will be given to the recipient during the Educational Leadership Conference (ELC) along with a sponsorship for registration to ELC the following year.