Awards presented by ACAPT are intended to be:
- supplement those presented by APTA and the Academy of Physical Therapy Education,
- and to provide national recognition to the unique contributions of the recipients.
Membership: The Committee shall be comprised of five individuals representing diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives from ACAPT member institutions. The board shall appoint one individual to serve as chair of this committee. The committee will also have an ACAPT board member liaison.
Composition: The suggested composition of the committee is:
- A member from the ACAPT Awards and Recognition Strategic Initiatives Panel on Clinical Education who will share insights from their prior work with the panel while recognizing the objectives of this committee may differ slightly
- One or two Program Directors
- A Director of Clinical Education
- Someone involved in post-professional education
- One additional member who is involved in academic physical therapy (e.g. dean, provost)
Term: The terms of service are for three years with the opportunity to serve two consecutive terms without board approval. In the initial formation of the committee, the chair and one-half of the committee will serve a three-year term and the remaining appointed members will serve a two-year term. This will help to facilitate staggered terms so that historical knowledge will not be lost between appointments.
Elected/Appointed: All committee members will be appointed. Appointee must be an “Individual Member” of an ACAPT member institution, as defined in the ACAPT bylaws.
Charge: The charge of the committee is to honor members of the academic and clinical physical therapy profession who exemplify the characteristics of excellence. The committee’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Establish the ACAPT Awards:
- Conduct an environmental scan of all current awards & recognition in physical therapy education.
- Identify to the ACAPT Board areas or categories where awards & recognition in academic physical therapy do not currently exist, which may include: entry-level, post-professional clinical and academic leadership and higher-level academic leadership.
- Identify comparable organizations with similar awards and recognition to guide and inform the most comprehensive process.
- Recommend prospective naming considerations for the awards, which may include the recognition of current or past ACAPT leaders.
- Identify the criteria needed for each award by working collaboratively with ACAPT’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Consortium to ensure that criteria reflect these characteristics.
- Develop procedures for nominating persons, the submission and review process, including the rubric for scoring applicants, and the recognition process.
- Recommend processes for responding to applicants not selected for awards.
- Identify the type of award for honorees that would be deemed most cherished and coveted (e.g., a plaque; name listing; cash award; etc.).
- Develop a timeline for when nominations are due, when they are reviewed, when applicants are notified, and when/how members are notified of honorees.
- Make a recommendation to the ACAPT Board of Directors for when and how the awards should be presented to the awardees.
- Maintain awareness of all awards presented in academic physical therapy
- Receive and review materials submitted for awards.
- Determine eligibility of candidates for awards each year.
- Recommend to the ACAPT Board of Directors the most qualified nominees to receive the award.
- Work with ACAPT’s Marketing Specialist to:
* Publish criteria for awards and recognition, and the procedures for applying and/or nominating individuals by the timelines determined by the committee.
* Announce awards recipients.
* Promote the awards and other ACAPT awards that may already exist.
- Recommend any new awards that may be considered to the Board of Directors.
- Make recommendations to the Board of Directors for appointment of Committee members as needed.
- Prepare and submit committee reports and recommendations to the Board of Directors
- Conduct an annual assessment of the awards policies and procedures and make recommendations to the Board for any adjustments.
- Develop and propose a budget by date requested by ACAPT’s Treasurer to accomplish goals and objectives.
Evaluation: The Board of Directors will have an opportunity to evaluate the committee yearly. The goal of the evaluation process is to assure functionality of the committee and that the goals and objectives are always relevant to ACAPT’s strategic initiatives.
Copyright Assignment: Members of the committee will be required to execute an ACAPT Guidelines and Assignment of Copyright to ACAPT before the commencement of the work to be completed as part of the purpose and objectives of this Committee.
To apply: Send an email with your name, CV, an explanation that describes your reason(s) and qualifications to serve in the position and an executed assignment of copyright to the ACAPT Executive Office at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 22, 2020, to be considered for appointment.
All applications shall be compiled and retained by the Executive Office and shared with the Board of Directors. All applicants will be notified of the Board’s decision by early February 2020.