Charge: The charge of the Education Research Committee is to build the body of active and engaged education researchers within the academic physical therapy profession. The goals include, but are not limited to:
- To enhance awareness and participation in the PT Education Research Network and its related activities;
- To increase the number of Education Research Mentors and ensure their active engagement through promotion of the mentorship opportunities on the Network;
- To increase the number of individuals engaged in education research;
- To facilitate the development of the body of education researchers in physical therapy education;
- To facilitate and encourage collaborative educational research efforts between institutions;
- To support and lead where possible in the strategies for implementation of the recommendations from the Education Research Strategy Meeting sponsored by the Education Leadership Partnership;
- To increase registration for MERC and GAMER workshops, and other non-dues revenue opportunities identified by the committee;
- To identify opportunities for grants in education research;
- To guide programs for increased scholarship;
- To promote and support institutional cooperation and collaboration;
- To summarize the current work in this arena in the context of which group is doing what, identified strengths and any gap areas, and suggest recommendations to the ACAPT Board as related to ACAPT’s future strategic priorities.
- To work collaboratively with all leaders within ACAPT, APTA and the Academy of Physical Therapy Education, and other outside stakeholder groups; and
- That the Model of Excellence for Physical Therapist Education (Jensen et al, 2018) and the dimensions, elements, and transformational areas for promoting excellence in physical therapist education framework (Jensen et al, 2017, p. 883) adopted by the Education Leadership Partnership will be referenced to guide the committee’s work;
General Responsibilities: The Education Research Committee will:
- Advise the Board of Directors on matters pertaining to ACAPT’s and its members’ education research needs and opportunities.
- Work closely with the Board Liaison and Executive Director to develop plans, identify resources and timelines.
- Interact with Consortia chairs and other stakeholder groups to facilitate and coordinate implementation of ideas and solutions.
- Develop and propose a budget by date requested by ACAPT’s Treasurer to accomplish goals and objectives.
- Make recommendations to the Board of Directors for appointment of members as needed to assist in planning and on site management of the programs.
- Submit written reports regarding programming when requested.
- Coordinate advertising and marketing initiatives to promote education research
Education Research Committee References
Committee members as of April 2020:
Chair: Tara Dickson, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Board Liaison: Mary Blackinton, Nova Southeastern University
- Jody Eckert, University of Mary
- Yasser Salem, University of North Texas Health Science Center
- Christine McCallum, Walsh University
- Lisa Johnston, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- Jacque Ruen, University of Minnesota
- Kevin Helgelson, Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions
Term: The chair of this committee is appointed by the Board of Directors at the beginning of the term. There is a three-year term limit for committee members and no committee member may serve more than two consecutive terms without board approval.
In the initial formation of the committee, the chair and one half of the committee will serve a three-year term and the remaining appointed members will serve a two-year term. This will help to facilitate staggered terms so that historical knowledge will not be lost between appointments.
Elected/Appointed: All committee members are appointed. Each appointee must be an “Individual Member” of an ACAPT member institution, as defined in the ACAPT bylaws.