Help shape the future of academic physical therapy
Member representatives can help shape the future of academic physical therapy by convening with their program's faculty and clinical affiliates to bring forward ideas for
the adoption and implementation by all. This may be facilitated by the creation of proposed amendments to ACAPT's bylaws or
standing rules, or through the creation of a main motion.
Starting in 2023:
- ACAPT is holding a separate virtual meeting (Tuesday, May 23, 2023) for proposed amendments to ACAPT's bylaws and standing rules.
- The annual ACAPT business meeting (Thursday, October 12, 2023*) will
focus on main motions.
With a separate special meeting covering amendments to ACAPT bylaws & standing rules, which are primarily focused on the operations of ACAPT, we can keep the ACAPT business meeting focused on member-initiated strategic motions that impact the academic physical therapy profession.
How to submit a motion
- The ACAPT member representative bringing forward the final concept is referred to as the motion maker.
- Motion deadlines, procedures and timelines are below.
- Most importantly, ACAPT has a Reference Committee that will guide a motion maker through the phases of motion development and provide a way for the Committee to determine if motion criteria have been met.
It is the responsibility of the maker of the motion to:
- Provide a statement of the intended outcome of the motion.
- Demonstrate that the motion’s subject is national in scope or importance.
- Provide pertinent background information, in collaboration with the ACAPT Board of Directors or staff including:
- Description of previous Board or staff activity relating to the subject; and
- An identification of the stakeholders affected by the motion.
- When possible, demonstrate that the motion concept has been disseminated to stakeholders of other institutions prior to the deadline for submission of motions.
- Provide a description of the potential fiscal impact of adopting and implementing the motion.
The Reference Committee determines if criteria have been met
Motions that meet criteria are forwarded to the Board of Directors who may add their
recommendation to the proposal. The Board may recommend adoption, not recommend adoption or may take no action at all.
If it is determined that the criteria are NOT adequately met:
- The Reference Committee will return the proposal to the author and state what’s missing, or if it is redundant to existing policy or already established goals, objectives or strategies of the ACAPT strategic plan.
- The author may then withdraw the proposal. If the proposer still desires to have the motion considered at the annual meeting, it shall be placed at the end of the agenda of the annual meeting but shall not be considered unless a majority of the members
vote, without debate, to consider the motion. Such motions will be distributed in advance of the annual meeting.
Every ACAPT member institution has a Reference Committee liaison available to assist with the development of motions or bylaw amendments. Communicate with liaison as early as possible in the
process, as others may be working on the same topic.
Use the forms identified below to develop amendments or motions. When completed, please email the draft motion to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadlines for Bylaws and Standing Rules Amendments or Main Motions:
|2023 Deadlines|| Action|| Notes|
|February||Call for amendments and motions||Sent to all members|
|February - March||Work with your Reference Committee liaison to develop your ideas for amendments or motions||Members use the Sample Bylaws Amendment form or the Sample Motion form|
|March 14||Deadline for final Bylaws or Standing Rules Amendments||Send final amendments or motions to the ACAPT Reference Committee at email@example.com|
|March 15 - April 5||Open comment period on amendments||Members may use this discussion board. Be sure to subscribe to create a new post or receive and respond to other posts|
|April 20||Notice to Representatives of special meeting for Bylaws or Standing Rules amendments, to include those amendments and the agenda for the meeting. This will occur only if there are amendments.||ACAPT’s bylaws stipulate: notice of the proposed amendment shall be sent to all Representatives at least 30 (thirty) days in advance of a special meeting|
|May 23, 7:00 - 9:00pm ET||Special Meeting conducted virtually for Bylaws or Standing Rules amendments. Register to attend.||The Bylaws or Standing Rules may be amended by two-thirds vote of the Representatives.|
|June|| Open comment period on main motions||Members may use this discussion board. Be sure to subscribe to create a new post or receive and respond to other posts|
|August 1 - 12|| Deadline for main motions||The deadline for submitting motions to the Reference Committee is two months prior to the date of the Annual Meeting, but in order for the Committee to do its work, please aim for August 1.|
|September 14||Annual membership meeting agenda and accompanying motions sent to Representatives.||ACAPT’s bylaws stipulate: The Board of Directors shall provide the motions meeting the two-month deadline and to be considered at the Annual Meeting to the Representatives at least thirty (30) days prior to the date of the Annual
|October 12*, 5:30 - 8:00pm ET||ACAPT’s Annual membership meeting at the Education Leadership Conference (ELC) in Philadelphia. The meeting will include the ability to join virtually.||Motions require a majority of those present and voting (either in-person or virtually) for adoption.|
Contact your ACAPT Reference Committee liaison
Vicki LaFay, PT, PhD, DPT
University of the Cumberlands
Daniel Maddox, PT, DPT, OCS, FAAOMPT
R. Barry Dale, PT, PhD, MBA, ATC, CSCS
University of Tennessee Health Science Center
* NOTE: ACAPT’s business meeting at ELC will now be held on Thursday evening, October 12, 2023 from 5:30-8:00 pm, replacing what was previously the time for the Open Forum on Hot Topics.
This will make it possible for our member representatives and other interested stakeholders to participate without missing continuing education opportunities. Create or update your ACAPT member profile to stay informed about meeting details.
Links to Forms and Additional Information: