PT research studies addressing DPT education
ACAPT remains committed to its membership and the pursuit of scientific endeavors to improve physical therapist education.
As a service to ACAPT members and the research community, ACAPT has agreed to share approved member research
survey invitations. This does not represent an endorsement of a research project. ACAPT is acting solely as an agent for the dissemination of research surveys.
Current surveys for your participation
Physical Therapy clinical instructors’ (CIs) perceptions, practices and experiences when supervising an underperforming student study.
Purpose: The purpose of this study is to gain insight into the Clinical Instructor’s (CI’s) perceptions, practices, and experience in supervising students, particularly those who may have had difficulty
in their clinical performance. Information gained from this study may provide Directors of Clinical Education (DCE) and Site Coordinators of Clinical Education (SCCE) with an understanding of CI’s experiences and how to better support
them in their role.
Summary of this study: This study will use a mixed methods approach. The first part of this study requests that participants complete online survey. Participation is voluntary and all responses anonymous. You may
withdraw at any time. Participants will be asked questions about their experience of serving as a CI, teaching and evaluation practices, and sources of support and stress. At the end of the survey, participants will have the option to
volunteer to participate in part two of this study, a one-on-one, online virtual interview which will take a deeper dive into this topic.
Qualifications to participate in the survey: Participants must be a licensed physical therapist (PT) with at least one-year post-licensure experience and have served as a clinical instructor (CI) for a physical therapist (PT) student anytime
in the past 5 years. Even if a CI has not supervised an underperforming student, their input is important, and all CIs are encouraged to participate.
Estimated number of minutes to complete the survey: 10-20
IRB: This study has been approved by the Mercy College Institutional Review Board (IRB #21-62) and Seton Hall through an IRB authorization agreement
Deadline to complete survey: August 30, 2021, or until 385 participants complete the survey
If you wish to participate, please complete the survey using the following link: https://redcap.mercy.edu/surveys/?s=NCNRMWN9X7
Ruth Lyons Hansen, PT, MS, DPT
Doctoral Candidate, Health Sciences, School of Health & Medical Science, Seton Hall University
ACAPT Institution: Mercy College, Dobbs Ferry, NY
Interested in promoting your own PT-related research survey?
If you meet the criteria below, you may purchase ACAPT advertising to post your PT research survey:
- Researchers requesting assistance must be from an ACAPT member institution.
- You must have an IRB-approved research study that addresses a valid PT educational topic.
- Approved research survey requests will:
- Be posted to this page for one month.
- A link to your provided research survey link will appear in two ACAPT Enews editions.
- Review & advertising fee: $150
How to submit
- Send the following information to email@example.com.
- Three-sentence statement explaining why the researcher wants to survey ACAPT Enews subscribers
- Survey title
- Description of research project, including purpose, desired outcomes and type of information to be collected
- Qualifications to participate in the survey
- Estimated number of minutes to complete the survey & survey deadline
- Final survey link
- Investigator names, credentials and contact information - and host institution
- IRB approval number & statement confirming IRB approval (or) document stating that survey is exempt
- Requests meeting the above requirements will be provided to the ACAPT Education Research Committee Chair. The criteria and process for review include:
- Proposed research is relevant and important to ACAPT members.
- Principle investigator or a co-investigator must be an ACAPT member.
- The Education Research Committee board liaison and ACAPT Executive Director must also approve the request.
- Once the final review is completed, a communication will be sent to the approved requestor with a link to secure payment.
- After payment is received, the survey information provided will appear on this web page and within two editions of ACAPT Enews. ACAPT Enews is delivered to members and non-members every two weeks (on Wednesdays.)
Tips for your survey:
- Because the survey will appear publicly on this site for one month, we encourage researchers to design their survey to eliminate responses that do not fit the desired characteristics of participants.
- We ask researchers to credit the "American Council of Academic Physical Therapy (ACAPT) - www.acapt.org" in your survey references.
- Upon completion of your research, we ask researchers to share a summary of your results with ACAPT participants and also send results to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing your survey title and purpose.